MSW School Social Work Licensure Program
The School of Social Work at the University of Memphis offers school social work licensure preparation for both current and post MSW students. See below for details.
POST-Graduate MSW Option
Professionals with an MSW from University of Memphis or any other accredited graduate program may complete all necessary courses through the School of Social Work at University of Memphis. View the Post-Graduate School Social Work Licensure Program Requirements and the Tennessee State School Social Work Licensure Application.
Current MSW Students
明升体育-英超直播MSW students seeking school social work licensure must meet all admission requirements of the MSW program. These requirements are:
- University of Memphis Graduate Application
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited university with a 3.0 grade point
- Submission of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- Submission of GRE (Graduate Record Examination) scores.
- Master of Social Work Application.
- Professional Goal Statement.
- Three professional references.
明升体育-英超直播In addition, students seeking school social work licensure must have the following:
- Apply to the Teacher Education Program (TEP)
- Complete the TEP application
- Have an Undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Take the PRAXIS CORE Test (BA students must take this)
- Submit verification of background check.
GRE scores of : 3.5 writing; 143 verbal; 138 (350 on old GRE) quantitative or combined verbal & quantitative of 281 will result in the PRAXIS CORE examination being waived (this is applicable to graduate students only).
- If your GRE scores fall below the set requirements then you can schedule an appointment to take the Praxis CORE examination.
- If just your GRE writing score was below the requirement (3.5) but your Verbal and Quantitative Scores met the requirement, then simply schedule to retake the CORE writing.
- If your GRE Verbal and Qualitative Scores were below the requirement: 143 verbal (350 Old GRE); 138 (350 Old GRE) quantitative or combined verbal & quantitative of 281, then you must take the entire CORE examination in order to enter the TEP program.
- Click this link to find out more about the Praxis CORE requirements:
- Click this link to schedule to take the Praxis CORE:
MSW students will meet all requirements for Tennessee School Social Work Licensure through the completion of three courses (SWRK 6937/4937: School Social Work, SWRK 7016 or 7017, and SPED 6112: Functional Analysis/Treatment of Problem Behavior) and field placement (SWRK 7053-54). The course descriptions are provided below.
SWRK 6937: School Social Work
The purpose of this course is to develop the knowledge and skills necessary for successful and competent social work in public schools. The course covers the varied roles and functions of school social workers in their practice with diverse groups of students, families, school personnel, and diverse communities. It emphasizes best practices in assessing, intervening, and evaluating social work practice across all system levels. PREREQUISITE: Admission to MSW program.
SWRK 7016: Advanced Individual Child/Youth OR 7017: Advanced Family Child Youth
SPED 6112: Func Anlys/Treat Prob Behv Online (3) (Now only offered in Spring)
明升体育-英超直播Examines principles, issues, approaches, and strategies for conducting Functional Behavior Assessment and Functional analysis.
SWRK 7051/52 or 7053/54: Field Placement
MSW students must complete a minimum of 960 clock hours of field placement. 400 hours are completed in the foundation field placement sequence: SWRK 7051-7052. 560 hours are completed in the concentration field placement sequence: SWRK 7053-7054. MSW students must apply and be accepted into the Teacher Education Program. In addition, they must obtain a background check and at least 1 million/3 million dollars professional liability insurance via a reputable organization or company that provides coverage for social workers prior to placement in the field. Students should also review the student field manual and student handbook for information regarding the requirements for liability insurance coverage. The MSW program requires that students get two different field experiences in their foundation and concentration years. Therefore, students are not allowed to complete both field placements at the same agency. Students seeking school social work licensure will complete their concentration year field placement in a school setting. Table 3 outlines the link between Tennessee School Social Work licensure standards, field placement requirements course, and field placement assessments.